A word about the CAS's lodging houses.By 1899, a number of the CAS's lodging houses had already come and gone, discontinued when their buildings became too old or too small to serve their purpose. Six were in use that year, five of which were for boys, and one for girls. In time, some of these, too, were replaced with newer LHs.
At this point, all of the CAS's active lodging houses were designed on the same general principle. All were located in buildings expressly constructed for that purpose, with construction generally funded by some civic-minded sponsor. Each had its own Superintendent.
Every LH contained not only the living quarters and other associated necessities (kitchen, laundry, etc.) but also an Industrial School. In these Schools, classes would be held during the day (mostly attended by children who did not live in the LH). There they would be taught some practical trade or skill, intended to give them some means by which they could make a living.
The DSLH was by far the largest of the New York LHs. The majority of the boys who lived in these other lodging houses worked at shops or factories rather than as newsboys.
Although curfew at the DSLH was at midnight, for all the other lodging houses it was at 11 p.m.
Each LH also used the DSLH's system of numbered lockers with keys.
The other lodging houses.Listed in order of date of construction, the other LHs of the CAS are...
1. West Side Lodging House
2. Tompkins Square Lodging House
3. Forty-fourth St. Lodging House
4. Elizabeth Home for Girls
5. Fogg Lodging House